Norsebury & Weston Colley cont'd
The River Dever
Weston Colley is a hamlet of houses clustered around a farm through which the River Dever flows. There has been a watermill here from the earliest of times – the Domesday Survey reports that the mill was rented at 30d (15p) per annum. In 1390 a miller called Henry Gill held it in feudal tenure along with a croft of arable land at Norsebury. The mill operated for many centuries and was probably at its busiest in the winter when the flow of water in the river was at its greatest. It was an important community asset for without it farmers could not extract grain from their crops. In 1771 the miller was one William Gandy who was ordered by the manorial court to repair the river bank. It ceased to operate in the latter half of the 19th century.
Continuing in an easterly direction the lane known as Token Way, or Toking Way or Tribute Way, from Weston Colley climbs to the railway arch at a spot called The Gullet where navvies building the railway unearthed a Saxon cemetery.
The history summaries are taken, with kind permission from Peter Clarke's family,
excerpts from Dever & Down: A History of the Villages in and Around the Dever Valley in Hampshire
by Peter Clarke.
Weston Mill 1960
Mill House 2000