Welcome to the Playing Fields
The playing field used to be located opposite Rose Cottage in Duke Street. Football competitions were held between surrounding villages at the field every Easter between 1920 and 1939, at the end of which the silver Challenge Cup was presented to the winning team. The cup was first presented by the Earl of Northbrook.
The winners of the cup were:
1921 Sutton Scotney
1927 County Police, Winchester
1929 Winchester Water & Gas Company
1930 The Worthies
1931 Itchen valley
1934 St Peters
1936 Mitcheldever. The mis-spelling is on the cup
1938 All Saints Old Boys, Winchester
Since Micheldever were the last winners of the cup, it is still in our possession today.
In 1934 Lord and Lady Rank acquired a number of farms and pieces of land around Micheldever, and the family gave the village the current playing field. This is called the “Lord Rank Playing Field”.
The site opposite Rose Cottage was developed in 1962.
Football cups 1937
Stall at Village Fete