Woodmancott  History cont'd

Pic F upper valley from Weston Lane .JPG
Across the fields to Woodmancott

The original church here was burnt down on Easter Day 1854 and then replaced by a new flint church designed by the Hampshire architect, John Colson. Historically, the church was linked to the church at Popham (of which only the cemetery remains) which is less than a mile’s walk through College Wood but is at least three times as far by road since the M3 Motorway was built.

The village had a distinguished resident in the 19th century. George Mongor joined the Army as a private and won the Victoria Cross during the Indian Mutiny when he was only 17 years old.  Private Mongor displayed daring gallantry at Secundera Bagh, Lucknow, in November 1857 when he volunteered to accompany an officer when he rescued a corporal who was lying wounded and exposed to very heavy gunfire.

The history summary of the Parish, has been taken, with kind permission of Peter Clarke's family,
from Dever & Down: A History of the Villages in and Around the Dever Valley in Hampshire
by Peter Clarke

Woodmancott
Woodmancott

St James Church

Woodmancott
Woodmancott

Looking NE towards Woodmancott

Woodmancott
Woodmancott

Main Road (A33) looking south from London Lodge with the turning for Woodmancott on the left. C 1910 Note the pile of prepositioned stone for repairing potholes

Woodmancott
Woodmancott

St James Church

1/4