Half Moon & Spread Eagle
Half Moon 2020
Inns & Innkeepers in the Village through the years
We find the current Half Moon & Spread Eagle in Winchester Road listed as an inn in all the censuses since 1841, although the name has varied. In the early censuses no name is given. It became known as The Eagle Inn in the 1871 census, then becoming The Half Moon from 1881 onwards. The publican changed frequently!
In Northbrook itself a Beer Shop was established in 1871 under George Gutteridge, also a Blacksmith. By 1881 it was known as The Full Moon under the same publican cum blacksmith. No mention of it is made after that.
Publicans of The Half Moon
1841 – Henry Hillary
1851 – Sarah Hillary, widow of Henry
1861 – Frederick Ward
1871 – Robert & Elizabeth Clark
1881 – Henry Woodvine
1891 – John & Ann Carter
1901 - Henry Victor Taylor